Genesis 2 Discussion

Michael_AU
Site Admin

Genesis 2 Discussion

Post by Michael_AU » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:51 am

The 1st 3 verses of Genesis 2 appear to be a continuation of Genesis 1. They tell us Elohim finished his work in 6 days and on the 7th he rested. Not only did he rest on the 7th day he consecrated it. What does consecrated mean? It basically means it is made sacred.

The rest of Genesis 2 is different to Genesis 1 in a few ways. The writing style is totally different, the order of events is different, and mankind is the centre of the topic. It is almost as though Genesis 2 is a written version of oral lore that has been passed down from generation to generation. Throughout history many cultures did not use writing like we do today. Today writing is a means to store knowledge so others can read it, in early times knowledge was passed to younger generations in oral lore.

So reading Genesis 2 I see various things that tell me about God and his creation. Notice I said God and not Elohim. Elohim is the word used in Genesis 1 it basically means God (el) speaks (hayim). In Genesis 2 we find out that God has another name and this name is יְהוָ֥ה Yahweh which translates as "The Lord". So we have Yahweh Elohim (The Lord God Speaks) as the name used from Genesis 2 which I believe is a written version of oral lore handed down from generation to generation compared to Genesis 1 which I believe God directly "dictated" to Moses.

Now looking at Genesis 2 further we have even more information about what happened during Creation and it helps us to understand Genesis 1. We see that nothing grew as there was no rain and also no human to tend to things but there was a mist to keep the earth watered. Genesis 1 talks about the waters above and the waters below, it even mentions the spirit of God hovering over the waters (which had not yet had an expanse made).

Another similarity to Genesis 1 is the description of how God made "man". He formed Adam out of the dust of the earth. Remember in Genesis 1 Elohim made the animals but to do so he said "let the earth bring forth". Likewise Adam was made from the earth.

Now of all creation we know that man is different to all other life forms because in Genesis 1 Elohim said "let US make man in OUR image, in OUR likeness". Man was created to be "like" Elohim. What does this mean? Well I believe Genesis 2 clears that up for us where it says "Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." To understand this we need to know what the original word that is translated as "breath" actually means. The Hebrew word נִשְׁמַ֣ת (nismat) comes from the word נְשָׁמָה (neshamah) which can mean blast, breath, breathes, life, persons alive, spirit, who breathed. I believe in this instance the correct translation is more likely to be "and breathed into his nostrils the Spirit of life". It is the Spirit of life that gives us life and completes humans as the image and likeness of God. Other life forms are alive but other lifeforms don't have the "spirit of life" and are not made in the image and likeness of God. Having 2 legs, 2 arms, walking bipedally doesn't make us like God but having the "spirit of life" does.

The next section gives us an idea of the environment man was supposed to live in. The garden God planted contained the things that man could use but it also contained 1 thing man should not use. The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was in the garden and God put it there. Also in the garden was the Tree of Life. God made it perfectly clear that man (as in humans) could eat of anything except for 1 tree being the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. I find it interesting that from the very beginning man was created with the capacity to eat and enjoy food, I doubt he needed it as death was not yet part of the human condition yet humans were given the capacity anyway.

Part of Genesis 2 serves not only as a description of the creation of humans and the ideal environment for human habitation but it also serves as a geographical marker of where humanity was created. The description of the river flowing out of Eden and splitting into 4 other rivers provides us with a geographical reference. We know where the Tigris and Euphrates are so we know Eden was somewhere near the Persian Gulf. Not that this is important to the Biblical message in a way that would hinder us from fulfilling the purpose God wants us to fulfil but there are people who say the Bible is wrong or that this interpretation of he Bible is wrong and that Eden was no where near the middle east/Persian Gulf region. I'm not suggesting in any way shape or form that my interpretation of the Bible is correct, even though I do believe it is, but I am saying is people either believe what the Bible is saying or they do not. If I, or anyone else, says something that is contrary to the Bible I urge you to read the Bible, study it, pray about it, discuss it and let God tell you what it is saying rather than just trusting someone who is posting material that is contrary to what is written in front of us. Anyway I digress.

The last part of the creation event comes when God puts Adam in the garden and Adam named all things. There wasn't anything in all creation that was suitable company for Adam so God put Adam into a sleep and from Adam God made Eve (which Adam had not yet named). When Adam woke Eve was there and Adam immediately recognised Eve as a human like himself and named her "woman because she was taken out of man". The last part is probably not politically correct but it is part of the Bible so I will write about it because the Bible should not be held to political correctness. It is written "For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh." This is not something that Adam said, at least it is not written a though Adam said it, but rather it is written as something God wants. At that time there were no fathers and mothers. Remember all life forms were made to "multiply" and fill the earth but humans had not yet begun to multiply and it was just Adam and Eve. Lastly, but not least, Adam and Eve were totally naked, no clothes were required they felt no embarrassment or shame, they were in their natural environment just as God had intended.
Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone)
Sola Gratia (Grace Alone)
Sola Fide (Faith Alone)
Solus Christus (Christ Alone)
Soli Deo Gloria (To God Alone Be Glory)